Mary Shelley, Samantha Shannon, Cecelia Ahern, Alice Oseman, Lindsay Cummings, Carrie Hope Fletcher.
What do these ladies have in common with each other? They're all published authors, and at date of publication were all under the age of 25.
I'm 23 in April and my age has always been a bugbear of mine. I look around at other people the same age; writers, actors, musicians, and list off their accomplishments. In turn, I end up feeling feel very lazy and unspecial because of what they have done in the same time that they've been around on earth. But instead of feeling empowered to put a rocket up my butt and hurry up to make my own mark, I just end of moping around feeling disinterested and disillusioned.
I've never had an automatically 'glass half full' mindset. Usually I just go with it. Let the darkness hover over me like a rain cloud and wait for it to disperse naturally. But no longer. So I haven't ever finished a draft in my life. So what?
I need to think more about what I have done, and not what I haven't. So here goes.
1. I've written and completed 9 Fanfictions from age 14-20. A total of 336,822 words.
2. I learned how to drive, and in my 6 years of driving have never had an accident.
3. I've been involved with lots of amateur dramatics, performing in plays and pantomimes.
4. I got myself a babysitting/childminding job where I was in charge of 2 boys under 5 for two years 3 times a week (evenings and Saturdays) while studying for my GCSE's and AS exams.
5. After finishing the babysitting job I worked in retail for a year while studying for my A levels.
6. I've gotten Honors Bachelors degree in Biomedical Science
7. I've completed a Postgraduate Certificate in Education, enabling me to teach Science/Biology to 11-18 year olds.
8. I've moved to England in pursuit of a teaching job and found myself with a lovely school in a lovely area of England
9. I manage to pay rent, pay bills, cook and clean and generally look after myself without incident or getting into money troubles.
I didn't quite make it to 10 big things, but I'm pretty happy with those 9. Perhaps that 10 will be my first completed draft.
What have you accomplished recently?